So, every year in the garden, I learn something new. More often than not, I learn MANY new things.
1) Powdery mildew sucks. And once it starts, it’s impossible to get rid of, even if your plants are 10 feet away. In the south, it’s just the way it is, and all you can do is be vigilant, and ready to sacrifice a few plants.
2) Hot peppers take FOOORRRREEEEVVVEEEERRR to get going. Start early, like, new years day early.
3) Bell peppers do better with a touch of afternoon shade. Out of 5 bell pepper plants, the one that starts getting shade around 330pm is the biggest.
4) So do most tomatoes. Out of 16 tomato plants, the 8 that get afternoon shade at 330 ish, are growing like crazy.
5) Okra grows like a tree, and can grow taller than you, if it gets FULL sun. The one that gets afternoon shade is the runt.
6) I hate Japanese Beetles. I have yet to find a good use for them. I dont like wasp, but since they do function as pollinators, they are tolerable. Japanese Beetles, are not. They are demons and will take out a garden in 2 days if left unchecked.
7) Large green Caterpillars dont die easy. Or well. And will try to eat while they are dying.
8) Pumpkins will bring you joy. Then break your heart. Especially when they get some sort of bacterial wilt. It sucks. I love my crazy, garden crazy pumpkins.
Guess that’s it for now! Thx